Now hair loss has become a common problem in adulthood and mid-age people. Baldness affects your appearance. It may reduce your self-esteem. Therefore, hair transplant treatment works as a panacea. It is a hair restoration treatment. Hair transplant is a scalp treatment to add hair to an area on your head that may suffer from balding or thinning. In other words, The process is done by taking hair from thicker parts of your scalp and graft it into the thinning or balding section of the scalp. This treatment is effective for both males and females. A board-certified hair transplant surgeon will perform your grafting to provide a more natural effect.
How Does Hair Transplant Work?
Hair transplant is a type of procedure where a surgeon takes your hair from one part and transfer it to another position where you don’t have hair or thinning hair. Before starting your transplant procedure, your surgeon will sterilize the area from where the hair will be removed and make the area numb with local anesthesia. The doctor may use sedation to relax your nerves.
The most popular transplant methods are Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT), and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Firstly, The scientific synonym of FUT is Follicular unit strip surgery (FUS).
To perform a FUT treatment, your surgeon follows some medical steps:
1. Surgeons use a scalpel to remove a piece of your scalp, usually from the back portion of your head. Generally, the stripe size is about 8 to 10 inches long, but it can be stretch from ear to ear.
2. Then, he closes the portion where the scalp graft was removed with stitches.
3. Next, the team of surgeons split up the scalp strip into small pieces with a scalpel. The split is up to 2,000 micro fragments. These small fragments are known as grafts. Some of the grafts contain single hair per graft.
4. Surgeon used to make holes in the scalp’s targeted area and insert hair from the removed piece of scalp into the puncture hole. This unique step is popular as grafting
5. Finally, your doctor covers the surgical area with gauze or bandages to prevent infection.
The number of grafts you will receive depends on:
- The type of your hair
- Total area pf transplant site
- Thickness of hair
- Hair color
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
The following steps of FUE are:
- Shave off hair from the back portion of your head
- Individual follicles are taken out from the scalp skin. You can see the tiny marks on the hair follicle
- With the FUE treatment, the surgeon creates small holes in your scalp and graft hair follicle into the hair
- Next, cover the surgical site with gauze or bandages
Secondly, FUE and FUT procedures take several hours to one week to complete the process. It depends on the depth of baldness and the amount of work the surgeon has to perform. The patient can go home on the same day of the process.
Once the grafting procedure is completed, the hair transplant surgeon removes your bandage with care. To alleviate the inflammation, the surgeon may inject triamcinolone into the transplanted area to soothes it. You may fill soreness until the new hair grows from the transplant. After transplantation, your surgeon may prescribe some common medicines, including:
- Pain killers, ibuprofen type of medicines
- Antibiotic to avoid infection
- Oral steroids to alleviate swelling and inflammation
- Finasteride and minoxidil to stimulate hair growth
Aftercare do’s and don’ts for hair transplant surgery:
- Don’t wash your hair just after the transplantation process. Only use mild shampoo for the first few weeks.
- You may return to normal activities and in everyday work life after five days
- Don’t harshly comb your hair over the new graft for at least one month
- Don’t wear pullover shirts, scarves, or hats before taking the doctor’s permission
- In addition, Avoid exercise for 15 days. As you may feel the pain after exertion.
It would help if you remembered that the hair restoring process is not a hair fall treatment. So, you may face hair fall after surgery. It is part of the process.
Side Effects of Hair Transplant
The most common consequence is scarring, which is complementary to the hair transplant process.
Other potential side effects are:
- Pus or crust drainage around the surgical sites
- Folliculitis or swelling of the hair follicles
- Scalp itching, swelling, and pain
- Very less bleeding
- Numbness around the surgical area
The doctor will give you Propecia and Minoxidil for hair growth. Still, they also have side effects, including dizziness, headache, irritated scalp, chest pain, breast swelling, irregular heart rate, sexual dysfunction.
How much do hair transplants costs in Sharjah?
You will get hair loss treatment in Sharjah. The cost of the FUE hair transplant ranges from AED 500 per graft. The cost of a FUT hair transplant is AED 600 per graft. Ultimately the final price depends on several elements like how much area you need to graft, the extent of the transplant procedure, the type of surgical procedure you have chosen, and the surgeon’s experience. In this case, we would suggest you go to a certified and experienced surgeon for your hair transplantation procedure.